Friday, August 17, 2012

Dreams

People ask me fairly often, "What are you doing to do next?"
I usually reply with, "Well, I'm really not sure, I'm waiting for something to come up."
And they might say, "What's your dream? What's the one thing you're dying to do?"
And I'll say, "I don't really have a dream - or at least, I haven't identified one yet."
And they'll be like, "Well... That's weird."

I've been doing a lot of journaling lately, stream-of-consciousness journaling. I write in that style because if I think about what I'm writing before I write it, I'll censor myself and leave out the bits that I think are unacceptable because they're too ridiculous or impossible or impractical.

In my stream-of-consciousness journaling the other day, I spontaneously started making a list of things I would like to do with my life. It surprised me to see the list growing, on and on, lines filled with everything from "learn a new language" and "study medicine" to "go skydiving" and "become a foodie."

So I have come to discover that my problem is not the lack of a dream, but an overabundance of dreams, and no idea of where to start. I don't know which dream to choose first, so I haven't chosen any of them.

So... There's that.

1 comment:

mdwillems said...

ALSO, also, ALSO!!

This is awesome!!! After dragging you through making a life list that was 80% my own and 20% words that I managed to scramble together from your mumblings, this, this!, brings me happiness :)

Awesome