Today marks the beginning of fall in our family, with brother and sister heading off to school. Even though I'm still working on my own plans, I'm looking forward to the new season. I love this time of changing leaves, apple harvests, and chilly mornings.
Summer will turn into a pretty memory. I've been living out of boxes or suitcases for almost all of it. It's been one of the busiest summers I've had in a long time.
I spent the month of May at Camp Evergreen, with some of the most wonderful friends I've ever had.
Then, two weeks of music in Quebec, learning from new friends and inspiring mentors.
Next, two weeks of packing and sad goodbyes in Lethbridge as we prepared to move to Kelowna, where we spent two more weeks settling in and adjusting to the heat and the welcome claustrophobia that comes with living in a valley.
After that I went to Red Deer for three weeks of MusiCamp, a steep and exhausting learning curve that resulted in more new friends and some completely fantastic times to look back upon.
I spent a week at home in Kelowna before realizing I simply had to go back to Camp Evergreen for the last week of the summer season, and boarded a plane the next day. I loved being there with friends old and new, crafting together, laughing together, walking together.
I followed more whims during the next week, visiting treasured friends in Lethbridge. The church that will always feel like home. A hike and swim outside of Fernie. Coffee with an endearing old professor - and when that got awkward, with two close friends who passed by just in time.
A ride with a friend took us to Edmonton where MusiCamp friends waited, and an amazing recital awakened something in me that slept for a while after graduation last year.
Word games, conversation, bizarre what-if questions, and the belting of power ballads made the long road trip home pass quickly. Then, this house doubled in occupants as for one night we housed friends and family heading to the coast.
And suddenly, it was over. The bags were unpacked, hair conditioned for the first time in weeks, coffee stains finally washed out.
I see that I have made more new friends this summer than I have since my first year of university. They listen, support, encourage, pray, sing, laugh, tell stories, make terrible jokes, play music, and make the day better just by existing. I love these people. I thought I was a hermit, a loner, happier by myself. I'm not. I need people, and I've got them.
And so we move into a new season. I've a feeling that this year will look much like my summer: spent in many places, with new friends to be made and new experiences to be had. This isn't the end of anything, but a continuation of what's begun.
Looking back on this summer makes me realize that I'm far too sentimental to be functional, sometimes. The rose-coloured glasses are on, but I'm glad that even though there were dark days in the last few months, my memories are bright and unfiltered.
No comments:
Post a Comment