This isn't a new idea; I've frequently been encouraged to live more spontaneously, to spice up my life, and to try something new every day. Most often this is advised with the giver's intent of creating more excitement for the hearer. Adventures are great memories to accompany old age and create fascinating stories for future generations. Basically, there is personal gain to be had by living a better story in this sense.
Recently, however, the intent has changed. I've been urged to live a better story for God. God has given me the gift of life, and he "has come so that [we] may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10) Life should be treated as a gift and so it should be cherished, not wasted as many are apt to do. I live to show the glory of God; I exist to serve God and to serve his people and be and to show how amazing he is. To serve God is to live adventurously, accepting the risk of persecution and facing the evil in the world. Living in accordance with God's will for me is my greatest hope and will be the most fulfilling life I could have. To live a better story for God is a noble ambition.
What I have struggled with in the Live a Better Story philosophy is the implication of evil, or sin, in living a non-adventurous life. I have not read the Donald Miller books that describe this idea, and so my knowledge is admittedly incomplete. It has been my (perhaps completely backwards) impression, though, that failing to take advantage of life's opportunities is displeasing to God, since he created them to be enjoyed by his people.
I'm not sure if I believe that God's called everyone to live adventurous lives. Certainly there are those who have been called to such lives, but surely it is possible to please God greatly with a quiet, enduring faith while serving him close to home.
Perhaps the issue I have is with the definition of "adventurous." It is a risk in itself to become a follower of God, and God's will for each of his followers includes many adventures of different kinds. God will use soup kitchen volunteers as much as he'll use missionaries to developing countries.
God has a great plan for each of us. It is my prayer that we would submit to his will and go where he leads. This will be the greatest adventure of all.
6 comments:
is this sarah e.s.? so curious ...
actually, sarah d.v., who is not so sneaky as she thought.
Bahaha, busted!
Oh convoluted argument of adventure, we meet again. I suppose I should say something to this.
My view is, yes I do think that "failing to take advantage of life's opportunities is displeasing to God." But I think you were right about the subjectivity of what it means to be "adventurous" or what it means to seize life's "opportunities". Christ died so that we could live and move and do for his glory, and I don't think that it is possible to do this without being "adventurous".
But in my mind, "adventurous" has nothing to do with climbing mountains and leaping over valleys (a certain John Eldridge cover comes to mind). Adventurous can be anything that pushes you to put yourself out there, to be vulnerable to whatever or whomever, to take a step, no matter how figuratively.
We are called not to be lukewarm. I don't think Jesus died so that we could sit in front of our computers all day (ironic). Quiet, enduring faith is still living if it is stretching you to a place where you can use the gifts God gave you to the best of your ability.
People hold on to the more literal sense of "adventurous" because it's a more concrete way of seeing your life in motion. But as long as you are living, and living as full as you can, than you are on the right track.
Just my two cents.
"Failing to take advantage of life's opportunities is displeasing to God."
I meant that in a really general sense. I have the opportunity to climb Mount Everest, become an astronaut, tour around Southeast Asia, and learn how to swallow swords. But no, I’m not going to take advantage of all those opportunities, because there are WAY too many. Sure, God does place certain opportunities in our paths, and when we choose not to take them, it could be contrary to his will. Maybe that’s what you’re saying. Not every life opportunity is put in everyone’s path.
I agree that to be a Christian is to accept a life of adventure. And I agree with your definition of adventurous.
This is what bugs me in this message. Are we supposed to believe that God doesn't want us to live "boring," "non-adventurous" (in the physical sense) lives and so we should get up and travel the world (etc)? Is there any reason for me to travel the world besides getting a good story out of the deal? You might have a gigantic life list full of goals, but maybe none of those goals is going to glorify God. (Not to say that they would de-glorify (?) God.)
This isn’t to say that physical adventure isn’t worthwhile. Absolutely, it is. But if I one day decide to spend $4000 on the Everest expedition because my life is not exciting and God doesn’t like that my life isn’t exciting, I don’t know if that’s valid.
Ultimately, I think the most important thing is to accept God’s guidance.
(I feel like that wasn't your two cents. That was your dollar-fifty, at best.)
SARAH!! Welcome to the blogging world.
greetings sarah d.v.
apparently i'm the slow one off the mark.
Post a Comment