Thursday, January 6, 2011

What kind of spirit?

Here's the conversation I've been having with God over the last few months...

Sarah: God, I've been thinking a lot about what I should do once I finish my music degree this spring. I can't really seem to come to any sort of conclusion... I don't even really know what my career dreams are. All I really want is to follow your will, which I know is good and perfect and just right for me. Please guide me to follow your will.
God: ... ... ... ...

(Later)
S: God, I know your will is perfect, and even though I can't tell where I'm going, I'll follow you if you'll lead me. I don't need to make a decision for a while anyway.
G: ... ... ... ...

(Later)
S: God, it's really difficult right now to lack answers. I don't care that I can't give anyone an answer to the question, "What will you do next year?" but I do care that I can't answer that question for myself. I'm feeling very anxious and I really pray that you'd open my eyes to your will so I could have some direction.
G: ... ... ... ...

(Later)
S: God, I'm trying very hard to trust in your will right now, but I'm having a really hard time doing that when I can't see where the path leads at all. I feel unfocused and lacking in direction and it's frustrating. How can I know whether I'm following your will? How can I know which opportunities to take and which to pass up? How can I know what to research? I know you're not asking me to sit around waiting for you to place something in my lap... Even if you did that, how would I know it was you who had done it? Father, I've asked for guidance and for you to take my hand and lead me, but I still feel as lost as ever. I know you haven't left me. What should I do?
G: ... ... ... ...

Through all this, God's been patiently trying to develop in me a new kind of spirit: a teachable spirit. A spirit of patience, of peace, of faithfulness. My desperate cries for direction have gone unanswered (for now). I suppose I'm meant to discover the art of waiting in faithfulness and trust. Perhaps only when I can trust God fully and realize that he knows his plans for me will he open my eyes and reveal his will. I know it'll be worth the wait.

To close, a song that matches better my sentiments than my tone:

No comments: