I have so many friends who see life as an adventure. They dream of traveling and their photo albums show them atop mountains, strapped to parachutes, and sitting in European cafes (never all at once, although that would be a pretty great goal). They never back down from opportunities and they're ready to move on to the next thing at a moment's notice. I love the idea of travel and adventure but when it comes to dreaming, I lack the adventurous spirit these friends have. Their brighten at the thought of adding some great experience to the story - I find myself bristling.
New opportunities come with new challenges. Traveling means packing weeks of life into a suitcase. New experiences create new stories, of both victories and battle scars.
While I balk at the thought of new experiences, my life has been full of them. I have traveled, relocated, and taken new jobs many times since starting high school. In the last year alone I lived in five different homes, and had as many jobs. I consider myself a homebody but constantly find myself uprooted and transplanted.
Of course, rarely have I counted more scars than victories after the dust has settled.
I am a reluctant nomad, but resolve now to move ahead with the spirit of adventure and a little less reluctance.
| Mountain for inspiration |
No comments:
Post a Comment