Sunday, February 19, 2012

Must've Missed the Memo

It is fairly common for me to discover that I missed the hype on something, or caught the hype far too late. Most are specifically entertainment-related, but all seem to be equally shocking. Here are a few things that prompt the "what do you mean, you haven't..." incredulous look.

Disney Princess Movies
Oh, I've seen my fair share of these movies, but there are a few key movies I just haven't seen. It isn't because I had no desire to see them; I just never had or made the opportunity. I'm a 90s child who hasn't seen Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, and Aladdin, among other Disney standards.

Harry Potter
I guess I'm part of the Harry Potter generation. I did read the first few books, but found them pretty frightening. Once, my parents read a few pages of The Prisoner of Azkaban and decided it wasn't a good choice for us (my sister and I) to be reading as preteens. I never finished the series, and by the time the movies started coming out, I had very little interest in them.

Lord of the Rings
This is one that I'm actually ashamed of. I haven't read any of the LOTR books, and while I've seen the first movie, I couldn't really follow because I wasn't watching intentionally. I feel like the series is something I would enjoy, so I fully intend to become acquainted.

Star Wars
Here's yet another entertainment-related craze I missed. I have had to look up "droids," "Jabba the Hut," "Jedi," and "the force" on Wikipedia. This is also one I'd be on board with getting to know.

Guacamole
Yeah, avocados weird me out. Mushed avocado just doesn't seem appetizing at all. Guacamole is served at every party I attend and I always skip it. I'm okay with that.

3-D Movies
Never seen one. I have this assumption that it will make me feel sick, and that it won't actually enhance the experience. Also I make approximately two trips to the movie theatre every year.

Horses
I know a lot of girls who really love horses. Like reeeeally love them. I missed that. I have ridden horses a number of times (I even got back up on a horse that ripped down a hill and through a patch of spruces leaving me scratched and bleeding). I missed the day in school when all the girls decided the horse was the best animal of all the animals.

Soccer
I really, really regret having missed soccer growing up. 80% of my friends played on soccer teams as kids, and they are all 100% more coordinated than I am. I have zero organized sports skills.

There, eight memos that never made it to my desk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I tell you what...

You come back to camp and I'll make you guacamole and we'll watch LOTR together AND Star Wars together.

I'm here for you.

kerry said...

SARAH. I missed a few of those memos too. I'd take Courtney up on her guacamole offer, and I'd read the LOTR books before you try the movies again. Lord of the Rings is worth it. But I didn't watch Star Wars as a kid either, and tried in Bible College because I thought I was missing something. Truth: they're not that good when you watch them as an adult without a nostalgic base. I wouldn't waste my time, if I were you. I think Disney movies, animated ones, are overrated (but I have seen the ones you listed). And I started playing soccer, after a 20 year absence, at 26 and it was super fun.

(I feel like I missed the Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles, neon, and New Kids on the Block, all of which peaked in popularity when I lived in Tanzania, which were also the days before internet and cultural bleed.)