I tend to get overwhelmed by long lists. This is somewhat ironic, given the fact that I operate pretty much entirely based on to-do lists. Sometimes, when faced with a long list, I won't even start on it; instead, staring at it as it lengthens slowly. The question: Where to begin?
I have a long list of movies to watch, so I haven't watched any. I have a long list of books to read, so I haven't read any. I have a long list of things I would like to do someday, so I haven't done any. I have a long list of people I'd love to become closer with, so I haven't become closer with any. Long lists overwhelm me.
Currently, I have a very long list of words in mind. I have so many words in mind that I won't say any. I can't pick one to turn into a stimulating discussion. I can't pick one to turn into a conversation opener with a stranger. I can't pick one to turn into a journal entry. I can't pick one to turn into a blog post. So I won't pick one.
Friends, the future, music, plans, heroes, school, reality, imagination, fantasy, Jesus, the church, hopes, dreams, relationships, crushes, appearances, conformity, ignorance, fears, jealousy, this world, these people, moving away, moving on, growing up, anger, frustration, admiration, really annoying people, humour, confusion, judgment, journalling, blogging, songwriting, camp ministry, youth ministry, street ministry, Shane Claiborne, television, North America, hipsters, memory, mistakes, contentment, money.
In my mind, these things float about, each demanding serious consideration, and none receiving it. There must be a better way!
No comments:
Post a Comment