Sunday, December 23, 2012

So this is Christmas

A Merry Christmas to everyone!

Another month has gone by, much the same as that first week. Go to work, come home and watch TV, use days off to go to church, clean the house, and shop for groceries. Nothing ever happens that's out of the ordinary.

Around Christmas, people get cranky I guess, and I've been on the receiving end of a number of angry phone calls. Someday I'll laugh at hearing "Thanks for ruining my son's soccer photos, click" but when it happened I was a little shell-shocked. I hope I never holler at someone for a mistake like she did.

Then, there are the bus regulars. I've never spoken to them, but that little bit of familiarity is really nice.

I was part of a Christmas production at my church again this year for the sixth time. Watching the show in rehearsals was painful at times, partly because of the disorganization, and partly because of the content. But then we thought, God is bringing people to this show, and he'll use the cheesy lines ("You've got to turn your lens toward Jesus!") and the out-of-tune musicians to help our city realize that just because we're Christians doesn't mean we've got it all together. And isn't that what being a Christian is all about anyway? Realizing we haven't got anything together.

For Christmas I've come to my parents' house in Kelowna. The last time I was here was the end of the summer, and coming back in the winter is the strangest thing. Normally Kelowna turns ugly in winter, but I was welcomed with fresh snow. It's wonderful to be home, and to have the time off, and to drive again.

We'll be doing Christmas dinner with the Kelowna branches of our family, which is a fairly large group by our standards. I'm just hoping to avoid the completely despicable but unfortunately inevitable game of Wuckie Duckie. Who invented this game, I have no idea, but they obviously had no concern for personal space.

Still frustrated by not having time to practice or do more research about graduate programs, but I've realized that it's never going to be convenient. And so, I started filling out applications. Hold me to it, friends.

To finish:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah I laughed so hard about the wuckie Duckie bit! I hope you had a great Christmas! -Hannah